Saturday, October 25, 2014

#Vanagon Instagram Photo Post! - alaskanroots

Instagram-Vanagon October 25, 2014 at 09:07AM



Never in the 4 years that I've owned Winke have I ever been so incredibly relieved to see this sign!! It meant the climb was over, and even though the decent can prove to be just as challenging for a Vanagon, the climb is often a true feat. Yesterday I decided to cruise across the Sierra Nevada from east to west via Sonora Pass. It excites me to look at a map and search out the paths less traveled in hopes of finding treasures along the way, and boy did I find a treasure yesterday! The pass was absolutely gorgeous, especially in fall, a route I'd recommend to all who enjoy a driving challenge and aren't alarmed by sudden surprises and extreme exposure. But... Vanagon owners beware! It is without a doubt the least Vanagon friendly road I've ever traveled, and believe me I push my limits. For those of you who know Tioga, Sonora makes that look like a flat and straight four lane freeway. Sonora is as narrow as they come, ridiculously winding, and extremely steep. Cruising quickly turned into crawling in 2nd gear, contemplating at times whether I'd have to drop into 1st, wondering whether the road would ultimately reject us and Winke would run outta gusto, overheat, or perhaps the brand new breaks wouldn't perform as hoped. We made it though!! Seeing this sign meant I could stop holding my breath and finally reflect on the beauty! Winke will never meet that road again, but I hope to. The unknown is amazing, often challenging, but ultimately rewarding and/or educational in one way or another. #sonorapass #sierranevada #vanagon #vw #vanlife #pathlesstraveled



via Instagram User: alaskanroots


No comments:

Post a Comment